Can you believe it is the middle of July? Neither can we; a quick look on weather.com and we saw that the next ten days will be filled with lots of sunshine, heat, and scattered storms, all of the things that make summer in Gatlinburg so entertaining. But for those who are visiting for the first time, it can make packing a difficult task; let us help you plan your list so that you can enjoy every moment of stay in Gatlinburg.
1) Outdoor activities: you will definitely want to plan on doing at least one nature-themed activity while you are here. For hiking you should bring: hiking boots or sturdy sneakers, lightweight clothing including long pants and lots of layers, a hat, small backpack to carry water and snacks in, and a handkerchief or small towel to wipe away perspiration with. Don’t forget to bring a bathing suit, goggles, and beach towel (although the cabin does have regular towels) to swim with. If you plan on playing mini-golf or using the zip-line, long shorts or capris will work best in the heat for these activities.
2) The general feeling of Gatlinburg is of relaxed cool; you don’t want to get too dressed up to walk around the main streets. You will want to wear loose, casual clothing in this mountain town, especially in layers. The mornings start out cool, warm up in the afternoons, and slowly taper off in the evenings. Lately the weather has been in the mid-eighties to low nineties around noon, so be prepared to remove a layer or two if you are visiting an outdoor attraction or going shopping at one of the outlets nearby.
3) Be prepared for an occasional rain shower. Have a poncho or light rain jacket handy, a small umbrella, and clothing that is slightly water-repellent if you plan on hiking on wet days. Having a pair of crocs or other water-friendly shoes on hand instead of sandals is helpful in avoiding soggy feet as well.
4) Sunscreen! Even if the weather is a little cooler in the Great Smoky Mountains National Park the sunshine is as strong as ever. When the weather is beautiful you will be surprised at just how much time you are spending outdoors, and you will want to be well prepared for it. Carry a small tube in your purse or pocket for touch-ups throughout the day.
5) Water bottles are a great way to stay hydrated without having to look for a convenience store or grocery store constantly; fill some up at your cabin in the morning and pack them in the car or your backpack to stay hydrated in the hotter weather.
6) Sleeping bags: why bring these when you already have the most comfortable beds in your luxury cabin rental? The kids might want to spend one night “camping out” on the top porch under the stars, giggling the night away telling each other ghost stories. Doesn’t that sound like fun?
If you have any questions about other items to bring or where you can find something locally, don’t hesitate to contact our office for assistance. When it comes to summertime, we love watching our guests enjoy everything that Gatlinburg has to offer while having fun in the sun!