Here is our insider list of the top 5 winter activities to do in Gatlinburg, TN. Not afraid of some snow on the ground and a chill in the air? Then you will love visiting Gatlinburg, TN and staying in a cabin rental during the winter season. While the spring and fall seasons are beautiful, and many will say perfect, our winter season is just as exciting for different reasons. If you are planning a winter getaway for the upcoming months, check out our list below to see the top 5 reasons why you should come visit us at the Elk Springs Resort this season:
1. Ober Gatlinburg Ski Resort and Amusement Park: If there is one attraction that was built for the winter season, it is the Obergatlinburg Ski Resort. With multiple trails to ride for both, Ober is the perfect destination for skiers and snowboarders of all levels. Just getting to the park is fun in itself; strap yourself into the scenic chair lift and get an unparalleled view of the entire Gatlinburg area. If you don’t have your own equipment, don’t worry: they have everything you need to enjoy an afternoon of fun in the snow at prices that won’t break your budget. Take a break from the cold and grab some lunch, play a few games at the arcade or ride the carousel. With so much to do at Obergatlinburg, you may find yourself there all weekend!
2. Great Smoky Mountains National Park: With hundreds of miles of trails to explore, there is simply no way you could see all of the GSMNP in one trip. Just because there is some snow on the ground doesn’t mean you can’t enjoy an afternoon exploring the trails. Just make sure you check with a park ranger or nps.gov/grsm to see if there are any road or trail closures that you should avoid. There are also 2 webcams that show updated conditions in the park, both of which can be found on the GSMNP website.
3. Ripley’s Aquarium of the Smokies: Whether you want to watch penguins play or warm up in the Tropical Rainforest, there is plenty to see and do for everyone in your family at the aquarium. The underwater shark tunnel is one of the most popular parts of the aquarium for good reason: you can feel like you are swimming with the magnificent beasts without worrying about turning into lunch! You can often find deals online or at various locations downtown for the aquarium to save a few bucks.
4. Museums: There are several museums located just a short drive from your luxury cabin rental in Gatlinburg, TN. Our museums are different than your average stuffy variety, however, making them a perfect way to spend a lazy afternoon. Check out the Salt and Pepper Shaker Museum to see thousands of shakers from around the world. The Guinness World Records Museum will surprise and amaze you by showing what your fellow man is capable of accomplishing. You can usually find deals for these museums online as well.
5. Nothing: Yes, you read that right. By nothing, we mean hanging around your luxury cabin rental without a care in the world. Of course, you can do that all year long at the Elk Springs Resort, but there is something special about staying inside and all cozy during the winter. We recommend stocking up on feel-good movies, hot chocolate and board games to keep everyone in your family entertained.